Reading different books helps develop an imagination and allows you to escape into the world of a good book. Children need to be exposed to books of different genres to allow them to imagine different worlds.
Some ways you can develop a love for reading in children are:
- Read to your child every day, let them look at the pictures as you read
- Allow your child to see you reading whether it be a book or magazine
- Create a special reading with comfortable cushions, bean bags and lights, have a small book shelve with a selection of books to choose from
- Ask your child to pick their favorite book, this will help encourage them to have a go at reading it themselves
- Reading isn’t just about sitting down with a good book, try to encourage different reading moments where ever you are, E.G. shopping lists, recipes, road signs
- Reread favorite books, this gives them a chance to connect the words and pictures together and gives them an opportunity to spot something they did not see or hear previously.
- Have different story sacks available with the characters or puppets from the story this will help to bring the story to life and encourage and develop language and storytelling skills.