Maharat Learning Academy (MLA)
At the Maharat Learning Academy, each classroom is designed to provide a truly individualized yet progressive learning environment that is developmentally driven and emphasizes each child’s unique learning styles to ensure optimal learning.
Every child will have an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) with all relevant domains including:
- Social & Emotional
- Executive Functioning
- Functional Independence
The Maharat Learning Academy provides a differentiated educational program to children and young adults with a range of special educational needs or who require specialized teaching approaches to help and support them to learn effectively. Classrooms and schedules follow a typical school environment, and students may learn on a 1:1, 2:1 or in a small group basis. Our Learning Academy program offers a differentiated and flexible approach to learning that incorporates academics, life skills and technology.
What is ASDAN?
- Award Scheme Development & Accreditation Network
- Implement a differentiated learning program using the ASDAN Curriculum
- ASDAN is a pioneering curriculum development organization and awarding body offering programs and qualifications that explicitly grow skills for learning, skills for employment and skills for life
- Their programs offer a flexible approach to learning without the more rigid requirements of qualifications and an imaginative way of accrediting young people’s achievements
- ASDAN award programs and qualifications are usually vocational in nature, and are mainly aimed at students between 11 and 25
New Horizons – 9 to 13 years
- 5 modules: Personal, Social, Health, Citizenship, Relationships
- Each module consists of 5 different sections of activities
Transition Challenge – 14 to 16 years
- Sensory Book: 5 modules: Communication and Interaction, Cognition, Physical, and Self-Help, and Independence
- Introduction and Progression Book: 5 modules: Knowing How, Making Choices, Feeling Good, Moving Forward and Taking the Lead
- Each module consists of different activities
Towards Independence – 16+ years
- 70 Modules
- Themes of modules can be divided into Communication and Numeracy, Creative Studies, Cultural, Independent Living, Leisure, Recreation and Sport, Personal Development, PSHE (personal, social and health education) and Citizenship & Work related
Workright – 14+ years
- 4 Modules
- Health and Safety at Work, Responsibilities in the Workplace, Working with Others, You at Work
- Each module is divided into 3 sections
- The student and his/her support team (parents, teacher, etc.) will choose which modules from each ASDAN program are best suited for their learning needs. In addition, within each module the student can choose which activities are best suited for them.
- Each ASDAN program should be used in conjunction with MLC’s ABA programs (including academic, behavioral, cognitive, vocational, etc. programs)
- They should be seen as a supplement, not as a stand-alone program
- The ASDAN programs will still require individualization as to how to teach each skill and what evidence to collect (e.g., data and graphs, photos, videos, witness statements, etc.)
- In order for each client to receive the ASDAN certificate, the evidence from their completed modules (e.g., data, photos, witness statements, etc.) must be submitted (online) to ASDAN to be reviewed